Monday, January 16, 2012

Tile Coasters

This is another Pinterest project that I made for my Sister-in-law for Christmas.
Tile Coasters.

Here's what you need:
Tiles (mine are 4x4in... only 10cents each at Home Depot)
Felt
Modpodge
Scrapbook Paper and/or Pictures
Clear Acrylic Sealer


Step 1: Cut your felt into squares slightly smaller than your tiles so that they wont show under the edges. Mine are not quite a 1/2in from the edge. Use Modpodge to glue it down securely.


Step 2: Cut your paper or pictures to the desired size. I used 3 paper, 3 pictures for a set of 6. I wanted a small border of tile around it, so I cut accordingly. Glue these onto the tiles using Modpodge.
Step 3: Make sure the paper/pictures are dried and stuck down securely. Then cover with a layer of modpodge. Let dry, and add a second coat. You may or may not want to do a third, but I suggest doing at least 2. I did 3.
***If you are using pictures, be very careful when painting on the Modpodge. Once it starts getting sticky, don't keept trying to smooth it out. The Modpodge makes the ink on the picture wet and if you keep brushing it, it will make the ink mess up... plus it will dry smoother than it looks.***



Step 4: Once all Modpodge coats are completely dry, take coasters outside and spray with Clear Acrylic Sealer. This will make it water proof. It would be best to do 2 coats. Let dry completely between the 2 coats.

I forgot to take a final picture before I gave them away for Christmas. But I made a paper bellyband and an embellishment with my Cricut to hold them together temporarily.

Let me know how it works out for you if you try it!!
-Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment