Monday, January 16, 2012

Newspaper Art - Mixed Media

This is a project that my best friend and I made. The idea came from Pinterest so I can't claim it as my own.
Materials you'll need:
Art Canvas ... mine is 16x20, but any size will do
Newspaper
Modpodge
Black Paint
Brushes for the modpodge and paint
Scissors (optional)

Step 1: Cut or tear pieces of newspaper into the desired size. You can chose to use pieces that are all black and white, or you can add some color or images to the variety. Have enough to completely cover the canvas.
Step 2: Use Modpodge to glue the newspaper onto the canvas. Try to smooth out as many wrinkles as possible. It will probably be impossible to get all the wrinkles out, but the next step will make some go away.
Step 3: Once step 2 has had time to mostly dry, completely coat the newspaper-covered canvas in a layer of Modpodge. Let it dry completely.
It should look something like this... even though you can't tell it's Modpodged in the picture. I chose to put comics strips around the edge of mine. I used scissors to get clean edges for the comics, but i just tore the other pieces in random shapes for a more artsy look.

Step 4: Decide what image you want to paint onto your canvas, and paint it in black.
Since I had comics, I wanted something comical and funny looking. I searched online and found a clipart, printed it in the desired size, cut it out, traced it onto the canvas, and then painted it.
You can use a stencil if you have one, or if you're daring enough, you can free hand it.



If you mess up or decide you don't like it, you can always just cover the painted part with more newspaper and repeat the steps.


Have fun :)
Let me know if you try this project an how it turned out. And tell me what you painted on it.... or better yet, leave me a link to a picture!

Update!!
I decided to add a little to this project. I wanted it to have a little more... purpose, i guess, than just two random weird silhouette guys. So I made two more smaller ones to go with it, and I added some words. This is what I've got now.


No comments:

Post a Comment