Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Just a little DIY Mother's Day gift I helped my niece with... or rather, helped her dad (my brother) with.

So, this year was my niece's first Mother's Day.  My brother (her dad) has a good idea about making a thumb print pendant necklace for her mom. He didn't have time to do it because whenever he was with his baby, he was also with his wife. So he asked me to help him out and make it with the baby, Saylor, on the days we babysat her.
However, a 5 month old baby doesn't really have much of a thumb print, not to mention thumb. So when we tried (in both salt dough and modeling clay) it just looked like an indention. Not a thumb, or a print, or anything remotely close. So then we tries a hand and foot print. However, the modeling clay we got wasnt the right kind I guess and was too hard and didn't really work. And the salt dough just kept trying to shrivel  crack, or bubble. It seemed hopeless.
So I did a little Pin-search, that is to say, research on Pinterest, to come up with some alternatives.
This is what we came up with. I think it turned out pretty good, and he said she really liked it.
We had a little trouble, because despite the several time we practiced the painted footprint and she did perfectly, when i came time to do it on the canvas, she kept trying to curl her toes. She ended up with 6 toes on one foot, so I had to do some touch ups. Expect this to be necessary if you give this a try.

Basically all you need to do this is a canvas, some paint, a picture, and baby with feet, modpodge or other good glue, and any embellishments you want. The Pin that i saw was very simple, and plain white canvas, black works, red feet, and a picture. I decided to dress it up some, obviously. There is so much creative freedom with this project.








No comments:

Post a Comment