Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rag Quilt = Super Cute and Easy

I feel very accomplished now. I've always wanted to make a quilt after seeing my grandmother make the most beautiful, and complicated looking, quilts. However, I really didn't think I would be able to make a true quilt, just because I wouldn't have the patience to do the quilting part, and not to mention I don't have much experience with sewing at all, so it would be likely to end in disaster. But now I've made one, all on my own!!

I was looking around at different crafting blogs when I came across Tracy's Treasury. It's a very cute and neat blog with several great project ideas. There is a tutorial for how to make a Rag Bag and a Rag Quilt. I saw the Rag Bag first and thought it was super adorable, but I didn't really have much need for one, and that's when I saw the Rag Quilt. I love love love blankets. And since I've always wanted to make a quilt, I thought this was a perfect project for a beginner like me.

Click Here for the link to Tracy's blog with the instructions for how to make a Rag Quilt. I would give you my own, but I didn't take pictures of every step, so.... yeah. It's best to just let Tracy tell you how to do it. And while you're there, check out her other super adorable projects!!

Sooo, with out further ado,  here is my very first ever quilt! My Rag Quilt!!
Here are several different pictures I took of it. Let me know what you think!!

This is all of my squares after I cut them. I did the math. There are 504 squares.... Yes, my hand was tired by the time I was through.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I made approx. a 70"x60" quilt. It's 14x12 squares. It's a pretty good sized one, so you could do a lot smaller one and it would still be a decent size for a throw quilt. I just like big blankets :).

Here is my pattern, if you can tell.

After sewing them together and washing them.... vwa-lah!

I used 4 different patterned fabrics. First I chose the striped one, which has brown, yellow, red, green, and blue in it. And I used it to coordinate my other colors, which you can see are matching red, green, and blue. And the back of the quilt is solid brown.



 I'll just give you a heads up. If you've never sewn before, or if this is your first quilt, don't get frustrated if your squared don't line up on the back side. Mine definitely don't, so thank goodness it's on the back side, right?? And the good news is, you can't tell on the front!! But this is a super easy quilt to make.

I really enjoyed making it, and it even got me off FB for a while!! Lol. It took me about a week to make it, including going to buy my fabric, ironing and cutting, sewing, running out of thread and having to go get some from my grandmother, sewing the rest, snipping the edges, and washing it. Along with going to school and work. So I think that's pretty quick for a quilt.

OH! One more thing! Haha, sorry, I'll be done after this. When you get ready to sew your rows together, be careful that you sew them the right way if you have any sort of pattern going on... I definitely sewed the 3rd row on flipped the wrong way. Luckily it;s a pretty busy pattern and design that you can't tell unless you look very closely and know what you're looking for. I didn't feel like ripping out an entire row of stitching to fix it. Lol.

Have a great day!! Hope you like it!!
--Kelsey S.


p.s. If you haven't been around my blog long, you can go check out one of my very first posts that is also a sewing project, for a purse. Scraps to Straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment